GAVBLOG

Where you and I can interface online.

Friday, June 11, 2004

The Chronicles of Riddick

I have the occasion to screen films for Universal Pictures. Tonight [6-10-04] was Vin Diesel's big-budget follow up to one of his early films, Pitch Black, the first installment of the Riddick character. I thoroughly enjoyed that one when I rented it some five or six years ago... I think it was that long ago. That one was a "low budget" Sci-Fi horror flick. Pretty fun. This one's a different animal all together. Which isn't bad in and of itself. Alien and Aliens pulled off a successful sequel/genre departure... but I'm almost ashamed to compare this pair with that set of classics.

Having some familiarity with the Riddick character combined with the skyrocketing of Diesel's career I had some high hopes for this movie. Perhaps my expectations ruined the experience for me. Sci-Fi is one of my favorite genres and I like Diesel as an actor but this one seemed to try too hard, or to take itself too seriously. It's hard to put my finger on it specifically... perhaps just because I'm tired... but it seemed so overdone and predictable.

Perhaps my life's quota of mindless joyride effects driven films has been depleted. Or perhaps this really was a turkey. I'll let the professional critics be the judge (I haven't read any). But I would advise you to spare the $$ at least until it comes to DVD. Or go to a matinee if you really have nothing better to do.

Sorry, but only the real die hard Diesel fans will exit with full satisfaction from this one.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey bro.

I wish I could've went with you to that screening, because I just happen to be a die hard Vin Diesel fan. But I do believe you on the other hand when you say that the movie just didn't have the potential that it could've. I've noticed that from the previews. Some scenes look great, and others look, well, for lack of a better word, cheesy.

I only wish that Vin could get a role in a movie that just puts him at the top of the A list. Oh well. He's only my second favorite actor. My first happens to be Jason Statham (The One w/ Jet Li, The Transporter), now he, is quite cool.

Mike bro, if you get a chance, take a look at my favorite movie along with one other:

Favorite: Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrells
Other: Snatch

Both of them are just awesome. Check them out.

June 13, 2004 at 2:47 AM  
Blogger MLG said...

Actually I have been wanting to see both of those movies for quite some time. I'll definitely get to them.

June 13, 2004 at 10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home