GAVBLOG

Where you and I can interface online.

Wednesday, June 09, 2004

An Historic Moment

Yesterday former President Ronald Reagan died. I was in 5th grade when he was first elected President and soon thereafter moved from upstate New York to a suburb of Oakland California. I mention my move because it was the most significant event happening in my life at the time... from my limited perspective.

In reality, one of the most pivotal events in modern history had just taken place: Reagan became President. Partisan politics aside, the greatest accomplishment of Reagan's Presidency was the dismantling of the communist Soviet regime. He uttered the famous words, “Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!” The wall came down and millions were freed from oppression.

I’m not ashamed to admit that the radio and television coverage of the memorial services makes me a bit envious. I want to be there to share in this historic moment. But at the same time it elicits a profound appreciation for the nation in which we are privileged to live. Our country is not perfect, but I challenge anyone to identify one better. And if you think you can… why don’t you live there?

Reagan’s legacy is one of gratitude and optimism. It does not deny the existence of evil in the world. Rather, it determines to overcome it. Thank you Ronald Reagan.

God bless America.

9 Comments:

Blogger ppothier2004 said...

Q: Why are Marines like bananas?

A: Because they start out green, turn yellow, and die in bunches.

Yeehaw! Now I have to run for it. Cya.

June 10, 2004 at 8:19 AM  
Blogger Josh Matlock said...

Agreed.

Mike, this blog thing is kind of cool. I'll have to check in from time to time to get the latest updates. hope all is going well.

June 10, 2004 at 8:58 AM  
Blogger Josh Matlock said...

Agreed.

Mike, this blog thing is kind of cool. I'll have to check in from time to time to get the latest updates. hope all is going well.

June 10, 2004 at 8:58 AM  
Blogger Josh Matlock said...

Agreed.

Mike, this blog thing is kind of cool. I'll have to check in from time to time to get the latest updates. hope all is going well.

June 10, 2004 at 8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo, Mike. love ya, man.

mph

June 10, 2004 at 9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel that Reagan was one of our best presidents along with JFK and the Bush Administration. Although an actor, he did show great wisdom through out his time in office and it does sadden me as well to hear of his passing.

One of my favorite quotes:

"There can be no real peace while one American is dying some place in the world for the rest of us. We are at war with the most dangerous enemy that has ever faced mankind in his long climb from the swamp to the stars, and it has been said if we lose that war, and in so doing lose this way of freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment that those who had the most to lose did the least to prevent its happening... If we lose freedom here [in America], there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." (Ronald Reagan - October 27, 1964)

June 10, 2004 at 3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose it is only fitting that the the man be remembered by his successful endeavors. But I can't help to remember his failures as well.His admin created the largest deficit in history.Where were you on OCT 19 1987? He spoke about reducing goverment spending and then created the largest government payroll in history.
His domestic policies were disgusting,he catered to PACs and Special Interest Groups.Then left us with King George the 1st.Does any of this sound familiar -it should we are going through the same things right now.
Vote Kerry.

June 11, 2004 at 12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Approaching the ripe "old" age of 60, I've been alive through 15 terms of office of Presidents of the USA. If I think about it hard enough I can remember "things that happened" that were of national importance while certain President's served. I'm at the age now where I believe it's futile to argue about partisan politics and play the blame game where Presidents are concerned. It's like a marriage - if you marry someone and are miserable afterwards, just remember - "you picked him/or her." We elect them. I choose to believe that any man who stands in that office does the best job he can, with who he has. Any man who serves and does the right thing for this nation is not necessarily going to be a popular President if you really think about it. Generally speaking I think we as a nation need to have a lot more respect for the highest office in our land, whether we agree with his political persuasion or not. It won't be any President's "fault" if this nation crumbles into an ash heap at the feet of a foreign rule. It will be the fault of the people, we the citizens of this great nation, who have failed to uphold the moral integrity from which we came that will bring us down, and we seem to be well on the way.

June 15, 2004 at 9:56 AM  
Blogger JOMAMA said...

Hi Mike, love your blog! It's me, JOMAMA, - my post is "ripe old age of 60." Love you, Mom

June 15, 2004 at 9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home